Fireplace at Jackling Cottage

Jackling Cottage
cottage

cottage

Welcome

History

Facilities

Rates

Bookings

Location

Surroundings

Activities

Touring

Also See
Joseph's Cottage

 


Jackling Cottage History

Jackling Cottage is named after William Jackling 1843 – 1925.

William Jackling came to Australia on the sailing ship “Lord of the Isles” in 1854 with his family when he was 11 years old.

He lived and worked in Goolwa as a lime burner supplying lime for the construction of buildings and houses in the Goolwa area.

William Jackling was passionate about boating and a keen fisherman. To supplement his income he would spend much of his time on the River Murray and in the Coorong area aboard his boat called “Hemsley”. Today you will find “Jacklings” Creek in the Coorong National Park which was named after him.

William started his own lime kiln at the Finniss River and some time later also at Strathalbyn. The operation continued as a family business until 1956.

He died in 1925 and is buried at the Strathalbyn cemetery.

   
   
   
cottage space cottage Welcome | History | Facilities | Rates | Bookings | Location
Surroundings | Activities | Touring | Availability Calendar
m 0433571927
Jackling Cottage
 

© 2005 Goolwa Heritage Cottages  © 2005 Jackling Cottage